Thursday, October 15, 2009

Moloka'i

Most Recently Read Book:

Moloka'i

By Alan Brennert

I wasn't sure I was going to get this book read by our book club meeting, but I did! I'm really glad I read it because it was a great book. I definitely recommend this, it was just a little overwhelming with a deadline to finish it by.

This is a historical fiction book about a girl who gets leprosy and is sent away from her family to an island in Hawai'i where they send everyone who they find to have leprosy. The book chronicles her entire life and the lives of others who are associated with her. It was a well-written book and I found myself really getting involved in the character. It is still hard for me to believe that she had to go through what she went through, I feel like there may have been some other way, but I could also see how people thought they were doing what was best to keep others safe. It's just unfortunate what they all went through when in the end it was pointless. Crazy.

No comments: