Friday, February 29, 2008

Sharon Draper Live!



I had the fortune of meeting the author Sharon Draper today! She came to do a presentation in our school district. I was so excited to be able to meet her. It was kind of like when Chad met Rex Grossman last summer. I was shaking when I went to ask her to sign my copy of Copper Sun this morning.

I have read two of her books. Earlier this school year, I read "Romiette and Julio", which is about a black girl, Romiette, and a hispanic boy, Julio, who meet online and fall in love. They get along great except there is a gang at their school that doesn't like that they are dating. The book is a modern-day twist to Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet.

The other book I have read is Copper Sun. I love Copper Sun. It is absolutely amazing writing. Sharon Draper does a great job of developing the characters. Today she explained to us that she does a great deal of research when she writes a book. It took her 10 years to do the research for Copper Sun. The work paid off though because the book gives great insight into the monstrosity that was slavery.

No comments: