- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg, beaten lightly
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar plus additional for dusting hands
In a bowl (preferably metal) stir together flour, granulated sugar, cocoa, baking powder, and salt and, using finger, blend in butter. Stir in egg until mixture is blended. Spread dough in a thin layer in bowl and freeze 10 minutes, or until firm.
Preheat oven to 400°F. and lightly grease 2 baking sheets.
Spoon level teaspoons of dough onto a sheet of wax paper. Put 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar in a small bowl and dust hands with additional. Roll each piece of dough into a ball and then in confectioners' sugar in bowl. Arrange balls 2 inches apart on baking sheets and bake in upper and lower thirds of oven, switching sheets halfway through baking time, 8 to 10 minutes, or until cookies are just set. Cool cookies on racks.