Monday, February 7, 2011

Turkey Slices and Febrile Seizures

Ugh, thinking back over the last two days I am just so thankful to be home with all my boys and for all of us to be healthy or on our way back to being healthy.  Sheesh.  Danner started feeling warm on Thursday night.  He wasn't super warm but he seemed a little warm to me.  He had a cough and a stuffy nose but we went about our life as normal.  Saturday night Jordan was at my parents but we brought Danny home with us since he wasn't feeling to well and had been waking up in the middle of the night.

Sure enough, we brought him home and he fussed when he was going to sleep.  Chad came upstairs where I was watching a movie on my laptop.  Chad fell asleep with the TV on...apparently hungry and dreaming about a few more slices of turkey.  I heard Danny start crying and left my movie - the 2007 version of Hairspray, if you're wondering - to go check on him.  I didn't realize Chad was asleep already (...it was a good movie...and I may love Zac Efron...).

When I picked Danny up, he was super hot.  His head was really hot and when I opened his jammies to change his diaper his chest was super hot.  I didn't even get to changing his diaper, I called for Chad to please get the fever medicine that was downstairs.  Danny didn't seem like he was breathing quite right so I picked him up and was heading downstairs to meet Chad.  Danny was kind of grunting and it didn't seem like he was getting good breaths in.  When his eyelids started to get heavy and then his head went limp and rested on my shoulder we were pretty much freaking out and decided to call 911.  As much as we tried to get Danny to respond to us, he seemed to be completely unconscious.  Luckily, he was breathing normally again, he was just not responsive.

To make a long story short, the ambulance came, he woke up, his fever was 103.7 and we got to ride in the ambulance to the ER.  They checked us in and did so many tests on my little bird.  Everything came back negative which leads them to believe he had a febrile seizure.  The doctors said it was fairly common (to them at least) and he just has a lower threshold for fevers and his body deals with it by having a seizure.  From now on we'll have to make sure to start Motrin as soon as he has a cold and at least we understand it might happen again.

Besides this newfound understanding of Danny and fevers, I learned that I should probably preface my request for medicine from Chad by telling him how serious it is and whether he needs to go to get the medicine directly or if he can grab a snack on his way to the medicine.  Oh yes, remember how Chad had been dreaming of turkey slices before I woke him up to get the medicine?  Well, when I woke him up he grabbed a few slices of turkey until he realized I was freaking out and sprinted up the stairs to get his phone.  Of course, I didn't know about these turkey dreams or these pre-medicine shenanigans until he found us in the ER, sat down next to me out of breath, and said, "I've got turkey slices in my pocket...you think they're still good to eat?"

I'm so happy we're home from the hospital.  It feels good to be home again.  Times like this make me cherish more and more the health that we do have and understand how fragile we all can be.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

SCARY Jen!!!!! I'm so glad Danny is ok. I can't even imagine what that must of been like for you when he had his seizure.

Ok but really the part about Chad and the turkey slices was so freakin funny Jen. I laughed out loud and then had to read that part to Mike because he wanted to know why I was laughing so hard. We both ended up having a good laugh. Don't you love how you have to be SO SPECIFIC with men? Hilarious.

Laraf123 said...

Chad did not say that! Did he?
I'm so glad everyone is all right. Henry was hospitalized with pneumonia at 11 months--I know how frightning the hospital experience can be. The one bright spot is that Jordan was with your parents and didn't get scared by this. That would have been very traumatic. Feel better everyone!

Directory Submission List said...

Amazing child pictures.. It was very nice.. thanks for sharing good info..

Stephanie said...

Oh Jen! I am just getting around to catching up on blogs. This is SO scary!!!