Saturday, June 7, 2008

Runner's World

I haven't woken up early to go out for a run in a long time.  I've been running in the afternoon or early evening right when Jordan goes to sleep.  This morning somehow I dragged myself out of bed at 5:45 and hit the bike path.  I forgot how peaceful it is to run in the morning.  I felt like I was the only person awake.  It was cool, quiet and the birds were singing me love songs as I ran.  I took my time and made it three miles.  

When I run I like to make up little chants for myself.  It's really not that crazy...lots of people do it to motivate themselves as they run.  I had one when I did the marathon, but since I'm not doing another marathon I created a new one.  Here it is:

I-M-A
R-U-N
N-E-R

It's pretty simple, but I say the letters in the first line, pause and then say the next line, pause, and then say the last line.  It's my main secret to keeping myself going while I am running.  

I'm a runner.  When I think of myself I still have to tell myself I am a runner.  If you were one of the few people who passed my this morning on the bike path, you probably would have considered me a runner.  I had my head-to-toe snazzy Adidas gear and  I think I look coordinated enough to seem like I run a lot (I really hope, so at least).  But, in my head, I'm telling myself, "I'm a runner", because I haven't always been a runner.  Yes, I'm a runner, but I'm also the high-schooler who couldn't finish the mile run without walking...a lot.  I'm the girl who always needed her inhaler in gym class.  I'm the nerd who would run one lap at the NIU rec center...and then walk three...and then run one....and then walk three.  Even though now I have a handful of 5ks under my belt and the Chicago marathon (woo hoo!), I still have to remind myself that I am a runner.  I just wanted to say to anyone who wants to run or even exercise more, it can be done.  I started little by little and I'm proud to say I'm now a runner today!  

I had this reflective moment with myself this morning on my wonderful run and it reminded me of a short story by Sandra Cisneros called "Eleven".  I haven't really read anything by Sandra Cisneros but she wrote The House on Mango Street.  "Eleven" is a really sweet story of a little girl.  I found it posted on this semi-weird site, but you can at least read the story.  It's a favorite of mine.  

1 comment:

Jaxma99 said...

For me the key to becoming a runner was a really good bra! I picked it out of Title Nine long before Oprah recommended it. :) "The Last Resort Bra" was my savior!