Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Kind Diet

Most Recently Read Book:

The Kind Diet: A Simple Guide to Feeling Great, Losing Weight, and Saving the Planet
By Alicia Silverstone

When I first got home from the hospital after having Danny I watched a lot of TV (didn't you know you're supposed to always have background noise on during the day) and, of course, I got some Oprah in.  I saw her interview Alicia Silverstone about her book and I had to check it out.  After becoming a vegetarian, I've been looking for more ways to be healthy.  This book talks about what we're eating kind of like Eating Animals did, but it is written in a little more friendly way and the entire book isn't all about eating animals.  Alicia talks about flirting with being a vegetarian/vegan, being a vegan, and being a superhero.  This book easily convinced me to give being vegan a try.  It's not easy to just go vegan but I've done a pretty good job and I feel great.  I felt like I had a lot more energy when I first gave up meat, but I feel great while also having much softer skin and less sinus problems, believe it or not!  I love how Alicia wrote this book and I love her philosophy about eating.  She encourages people to even just try giving up meat for some meals. She also has lots of different recipes for the different "levels" of eating.  It's not just for vegans or superheroes, it's for everyone!

1 comment:

Emily Jane said...

I have to read this book!! I've been really tempted to go vegetarian or vegan for a while - because it bothers me so much to think of factory farms and inhumane cattle treatment etc. - so I do try and eat as "kindly" as possible... this may be the ticket for my full on conversion!