Sunday, July 6, 2008

Mundelein Freedom Classic 2008

Friday morning, we set off to run/walk the Mundelein Freedom Classic.  I love this 4th of July tradition.  This is the 3rd year we have participated in the Freedom Classic.  I mentioned before that this would be the first time I would ever run a race by myself.  I know it sounds silly, but it's different when you don't have someone waiting for the horn to go off with you or someone to run with. 

Here is the start of the race.  You can see me on the right, I'm wearing blue and I'm just above the lady's camcorder.  


I started off running at a pretty fast pace for my usual self.  I finished my first mile at 9:40.  After that I still pushed myself pretty hard but I didn't maintain that fast pace.  I ended up finishing at 31:09!  I was happy to at least beat my April race time.  Hopefully in August I'll beat this time.  It was a great race.  There were a few hills but they weren't so bad.  They did have 3 water stations, which is always nice.  The best surprise was seeing my parents just before the first turn in the race.  I hadn't seen them when I started and I didn't know if I would see them on the way.  It was nice, especially since I was running by myself, to see my mom and dad waving and cheering me on!  Thanks Mom and Dad!

Chad and Jordan did the 1.5 mile walk with our babysitter, Patty, and her daughter, Emma.  They had fun, although Patty said the rest of them were slowing them down!  Jordan was excited to see Patty again.  We miss Patty!  We're hoping to go hang out with them at their beach soon.  


After the race we feasted on a pancake breakfast.  Yum!  Gotta love the food after a race!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

WAY TO GO JEN! You did awesome! I know in August you can totally be under 30 minutes! What a great accomplishment. You should do the Rally for Austism 5k in August, it's a great race.

Anonymous said...

AHH so fun! I'm glad I was able to see you guys at Barefoot Bay! :) Congratulations on beating your time from April!!! thats so awesome that you run!