Friday, April 3, 2009

Of Mice and Men

Most Recently Read Book:

Of Mice and Men

By John Steinbeck

One of the girls I work with really loves this book, so when I saw it the other day at the library I grabbed it.  I was wary at first because I read The Grapes of Wrath in high school and I was soooo not a fan.  I found this book on CD so I was able to listen to it and I think that made a difference.  The reader did a great job.  At the end of the book there was a commentary that explained that this book was written as a "play-able book" because it is a novel but it is easily adaptable into a play.  I realized that he had a lot of dialogue with some great description when needed.  I have to say I actually liked this book.  It was interesting and really had me thinking.  I think part of why I didn't like The Grapes of Wrath was that it was so hard to get used to what life was like in the time period in the book as a migrant worker.  It was just not something I could relate to at all.  Now, being older, and having already read The Grapes of Wrath and knowing what to expect out of this book I was able to appreciate it more for the story it is.  

No comments: