Monday, January 4, 2010

Reading is Rad


I was thinking about how much I read today and realized it's a ton. I keep a list of every book I read every month for each year and when I printed it out it was crazy this year. It's wild to think I was able to read that many books, but I did it. How do you ask? Here's a few of my tricks.

1. My biggest trick to reading so many books: I listen to books on CD in my car. It's amazing how much time I spend in my car. I have a 45-minute drive to work and then another 45-minute drive back. Besides that I drive from school to school all day so I have 10 minute spurts here and there. I remember when I was listening to the Twilight CD, I used to jump at Chad's suggestion to go to Target because I was dying to get back in my car, even if it was only 5 minutes to Target. Every little minute adds up.

2. Before I lost my iPod, I was importing books on CD into my laptop and then putting them on my iPod. That meant I could listen while I was doing housework or working out. When I saw Gods Behaving Badly by Marie Phillips on my list I instantly remembered running around my neighborhood and listening to that earlier this summer. Anything mindless, like working out or doing housework totally warrants audiobooks to me.

3. I always have a book with me. Whether I'm waiting for a doctor's appointment, waiting for a meeting to start, waiting to meet friends for dinner: I have my book. In November, at book club, one of the girls called the restaurant to tell us she couldn't make it. She told the hostess there would be someone with a book...I cracked up when the hostess came over and told me that because there I was reading a book! I've always been the kind of person who can read anywhere at any time. I can block out background noise and just focus on my book so it works for me.

4. I read at lunch. I've never been a staff lounge kind of person. I have so many schools and my schedule changes from day to day so I usually eat on my own. What do I do? I bring my lunch, either eat while I read or eat (it so doesn't take 30 full minutes to eat) and then read for the rest of the time. I learned early that those 30 minutes are my 30 minutes so I make sure to chill for a little bit and read instead of getting work done because it's just healthy.

5. I read before bed. I've found that the best way for me to transition from being awake to getting to sleep is to read before bed...or do a word search or Sudoku. Some nights Chad will be watching TV and I'll burst into tears or yell out and he gets all confused. I love my books. Other nights, he'll be watching TV and I'll turn the page and he'll think I'm closing my book to go to sleep but I'm really just turning the page to read more. If I'm tired I don't last long, but some nights I can read forever because I'm so into a book. I love to read in bed.

In my mind, it's all about your mindset. As a teacher I need to be reading what my students are reading so I can talk to them about book and make recommendations to them. Since I love to read, I made it a goal to read as much as I possibly can, to benefit my students and myself. Where and when do you find time to read??? Please share!!!

5 comments:

Emily Jane said...

Thank you so much for sharing this!! When I saw how much you read I had no idea where or how you found the time!

I started designating time before bed for reading, and fingers crossed, getting David into, too - and I like the lunch hour idea too. I'm not a lunchroom kind of girl either so usually I'll eat at my desk and read blogs. But I can read BOOKS! :)

And I never even thought of books on tape! I'll have to give it a go - I downloaded some once with every intention of listening but always went with a new CD instead :(

I do try and carry a book with me - but I'm the impatient sort who buys things in hardback so it's difficult to actually fit them in bags :)

Laraf123 said...

Now that I don't drive H to daycare, I use my commute to listen to books. It's my "me time". I also read before going to sleep or is it sleep when I'm going to read? Some days I'm not sure!

Unknown said...

I miss reading. I feel like I have read a novel forever. I'm reading baby wise right now and it's good but driving me crazy! I need to look back through your blog and find a good book to read.

I know I don't always comment on your book reviews, but I do love them and I'm so glad you take the time to write them!

Jody said...

I can so relate to this post. My step-sons think I'm odd because my nose is always in a book, one is never far from my side and because of this I can endure waiting rooms, long car journeys, etc. I keep saying I'm going to track the number of books I read but haven't yet. I think I might start.

I'm always on the look out for great reading material and your site is definetly proving a useful tool (not to mention I like visiting it in general).

Happy reading!
Jody

Kristi said...

I so wish I could read. I dont have patience what so ever to read!!! I read twilight and new moon and that was such a big accomplishment. I really was addicted to them. My mom gave me the third one and I have yet to read it! I also think it was easier to read those because it was summer. I could put Bailey in the pool and read or while we were at the beach.

You asked about how I took 2 kids out. I laughed when you asked them because I don't have an answer. I take my mom with me everytime haha! I feel that if they were both mine it would be easier. (At least I hope so once I have another baby). They are both big enough to sit in the buggy and I am too scared to put one in the back of the buggy. Bailey is too young to let walk through stores without running away from me with another one in the buggy.
Plus if I had two that were mine I would spend the money on a double stroller and go out. But really dont want to do that for a baby I only have while his mom teaches!