Monday, May 12, 2008

Best Foot Forward


Most Recently Read Book

Best Food Forward

By Joan Bauer

This book tried to accomplish so many things at once, I'm not sure it did any of them justice.  Jenna, the main character, is an Alanon member, a member of a group for relatives of alcoholics.  I thought it was neat that this was addressed in this book.  I'm not sure how many people, let alone young people, are familiar with Alanon.  Jenna finds herself dealing with the stress of her life by making herself productive at her summer/after-school job as a shoe salesperson.  She helps another troubled teenager get himself back on track while also investigating recent company changes in the shoe store since the merger with a discount shoe retailer.  She also finds love in a doughnut baker.  Lots of things going on, right?  Overall it tied together fairly well, but I kind of wish the author would have really made a case for one of her interesting storylines instead of having so many with little emphasis on any of them.   

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jen- I have not read this book by Joan Bauer, but I did read Hope Was Here by the same author. Did you read it? I thought it was interesting and entertaining. Entertaining meaning it was an enjoyable book to read but would not be on my top 3 list.