Sunday, May 11, 2008

A Long Way Home: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier


Most Recently Read Book:

A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier

By Ishmael Beah

I listened to this book on CD, read by the author.  He does a great job of describing his experiences and relaying what happened to him and going back and forth between different times in the story.  It really made me sad to think someone as young as him had to go through what he did in his country.  It's crazy to me that such cruelty exists in this world.  I look at Jordan and think of how thankful I am that we are able to give him a good life and hopefully a good childhood.  Not all kids are lucky enough to have both a mother and a father and such an enriching environment to live in.  It makes me sad for all the kids who need help in the world.  It doesn't seem fair to me that children should suffer.  This book really opened my eyes to what is going on in Sierra Leon, a part of the world I had to look up to remember where it was.  It was a well written book.

1 comment:

Danmark said...

This was a good book from a first person true story perspective. I found reading second hand accounts of the events after reading the book gave a great deal more clarity on the historical aspects of the story better then the author did. Despite the many questions surrounding the author's credibility, I felt the story was truely the account of the facts as the author best recalled them.