Friday, October 31, 2008

Catcher in the Rye



Most Recently Read Book:

Catcher in the Rye

By J.D. Salinger

I just finished this book for the second time.  As I mentioned in WAYRG, I read this book in high school and I wanted to reread it to see if I might have a different view of it now that I am an adult.  Basically, I can appreciate it a little more, but I can't say that I really like this book.  The author definitely is able to create a unique voice for a character such that you don't mind reading a book all about what is happening in his life.  My biggest problem is that I completely do not in any way relate to the character and the author doesn't really help me connect with the character.  I'm not sure I blame the author, he definitely does a good job of presenting the character but there is no way he can be sure every reader will identify with a character.  I guess I just can't even connect with the character at all just because it's hard for me to sympathize or empathize with him.  I think this is mainly because of the way the story is told.  I'm not sure I'm making sense!

Let's just say that Holden Caulfield is just not a character who I can identify with and, for the second time, I feel like it was just annoying to read all about this kid's life when in the end, it really doesn't help me grow as a reader.  

Please, if you are a Holden fan or a Catcher fan, tell me why you are and help me see the light!  I really want to like this book, I think I just need some help.  Let this be a good example that books are not one size fits all.  

No comments: