Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Hundred Dresses

Most Recently Read Book:

The Hundred Dreses

By Eleanor Estes

I can't believe I've never read this book. It has such a strong message about standing up for people who are being ridiculed or being made fun of. I just read "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson with one of my middle school students. If you aren't familiar with the story, it's a skillfully written story about a horrible long-standing tradition that no one ever questions or takes a stand against. This book reminded me of that because the message is very much the same. Obviously, this book would work for a younger audience and is probably an experience that many kids could relate to in some way; whether they are the ones being mean to another kid, the kid being made fun of, or a kid on the sidelines feeling bad but not doing anything about the situation. The plot was definitely the strongest point of this book. I think it could be a great book to get conversations going about how we treat each other.

No comments: