Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Lemonade War

The Lemonade War
By Jacqueline Davies

I have fallen in love with this book.  It's a great late elementary read so it was pretty easy to zoom through but a great story.  There's something about stories that just can break my heart when I can relate to them and this one did just that.  It's not a sappy book, but the boy in the book just has to deal with some disappointments and it just reminds me of little disappointments in my life...I was remembering the time we went to the zoo with summer camp and my mom gave me $10 to spend at the zoo.  We had to pack brown bag lunches and we ate at tables at the zoo.  After lunch, I packed everything up and threw my lunch away...with the $10 bill inside of my lunch sack.  I was devastated later in the day when a counselor was taking kids to buy ice cream and I realized I had thrown my $10 away.  And I was remembering the time when I was in the spelling bee at school.  All the 5th grade classes came to watch the spelling bee and there were tons of parents there, including my mom who got off of work to come see me in the spelling bee.  My first time up at the microphone and my word is "bicycle".  I proudly spelled it, "bycicle".  I was crushed when I realized I had spelled it wrong, went back to my seat, and then watched my mom sneak out the back since I wasn't in the competition any more.

Anyway, I feel strongly that those little disappointments in life can be hard and they are moments that stick with me still.  This book is about a brother and sister who end up dueling to see who can make the most money at their lemonade stands.  It's a great sibling story, it's a great story about running a business, it's a great story about surviving disappointments in life.  I loved it!

1 comment:

Laraf123 said...

Those disappointments hit children so hard. I cringe when I think that my kids will experience them. But they will. I hope that I can help them through them. (And I hope someone bought you some ice cream at the zoon!)