Monday, May 3, 2010

National Boards Finale

Emily reminded me that I never posted about the end of National Boards! It is officially over and it feels so great to be done. The last time I posted, I had pre-packed my box with my family. The next night I went through it again with the people in my cohort. It was awesome to have it all officially ready to go. Here I am with Amy, she was also working on National Boards in the area of literacy so we supported each other through the entire thing. It was awesome to have someone to go through it with me!
And these are the wonderfully amazing women who mentored us through the entire process. Lana and Laura are both Nationally Board Certified teachers in our school district. They made the whole thing seem do-able. I just did exactly what they suggested throughout the entire process and it all worked out! I can't imagine having tried to do everything without their support. Can't you just tell from their faces how great they are? They will always have a special place in my heart.
So after that night, I took my box to the post office the very next day. It was stressful taping up my box and making sure it was addressed correctly. I could barely let the lady at the post office take it out of my hands. It was like sending my baby off to college. I literally left the post office, went to my car, and cried. And then I had to call everyone and tell them that I had actually mailed it between sobs.

Amy took her tests within the next week or two and we went out to Cheesecake Factory to celebrate. I didn't want to take my tests right away because I wanted some time to study and to destress from the portfolios and the "box" part. Last Monday was the day for me to take my tests at the assessment center. Can I just tell you, that place is hardcore? I had to go in and put my hand on a little box so they could take a picture of my palm vein. They also took my picture. I wasn't allowed to take anything into the testing room with me. They checked my palm vein again, to make sure I was still me before going into the actually testing room. There was a proctor watching over us all behind a glass partition. It was intense. I felt completely prepared for the tests though after all the work I have been doing this year. Once again, I left the testing center, went to my car, cried...and then called everyone to tell them I was officially, totally, and completely done!!!! It felt great. Amy and Kathy and Maddy met me for Cheesecake Factory to celebrate. It is an amazing feeling to know that I just did everything I could. I still have to wait until November, maybe even December, for my results. Until then I'm going to try my best not to think about it!!!!

6 comments:

Emily Jane said...

THANK YOU for updating us!! lol I was hoping everything went okay!! Those ladies look like such sweethearts, and I wish I could've given you a big hug through the sobbing!! "I had to go in and put my hand on a little box so they could take a picture of my palm vein." Kind of made it sound like you were going into SPACE lol how scary and intense!! That sucks the wait is so long... don't even think about it though, you did your very best and you can't change the outcome now so try not to worry yourself about it. And focus on all the AMAZING that is going to happen before then!! <3

Julie, Charlie, Carter, Logan & Ava said...

congratulations! what an amazing accomplishment...the work, the preparation, the letting go of "the box" and the test! way to go! can't wait to hear how you'll celebrate in the fall!

Stephanie said...

Congrats on being all done! I have so much respect for all of the work you have put into this. I cannot imagine. It must feel so great now!

Kristi said...

Congrats!!! I dont know much about National Boards but I have seen some of my friends on facebook talk about it. I cant believe you have to wait so long for test results!!!!! Hope your feeling well these days!!

Unknown said...

I have told you this before but seriously is there anything you can't do? Congratulations on your amazing accomplishment! Gosh, how do you balance everything so perfectly? A beautiful wife, loving mother, life long reader, healthy eater, teacher.... You are my inspiration!

Anna McE said...

wow! i heard about the high security of the testing room.. but seriously.. taking pics of your vein? crazy! i was wondering how emotional teachers get when its time to ship the box.. even though i havent typed one word yet, i am stills scared to tape the box.. you mean, once its taped, i cannot open it? and once i hand it over to darla at the elgin post office, i wont be able to take it back and make one more change? eek! so i will spend this whole year filling it and then one day, leave it up to destiny. i think i will cry too on the post office day. thanks for blogging about this.. i enjoyed reading about your experience!