Saturday, April 19, 2008

Take a Step for Kids 5k/10k Run/Walk






Today we ran/walked a 5k/10k with our friends, Laura and Mike Walker (www.chicagowalkers.blogspot.com).  Laura actually ran the 10k...and got first place in her age group!  Her husband, Mike, ran the 5k and smoked me.  I am actually proud of myself and how I ran though.  I averaged about 11 minute miles and finished in 34 1/2 minutes.  I completely understand I am slow but this is the first race I have done since before I had Jordan so I think I did a half-decent job.  I've already planned to significantly improve my time so by the end of the summer I can get a way better time.  Breaking 30 minutes would be good...my best ever was around 27 minutes...that would be my ultimate goal.  I actually found out that there is a running store close by that does Thursday night runs so that might help me get motivated and maybe even get some running tips.  Anyway, Chad and Jordan walked the 5k.  I was worrying about them having to go such a far way just in case Jordan got cranky about being in the stroller for that long.  Chad didn't realize that a 5k would be a long way walking (in his head he was thinking of walking 1 mile).  You know how some things just don't register in your brain?  They made it though!  I was so proud to see my little munchkin head crossing the finish line!  I almost shed a tear.  It wasn't a big race, but it was fun.  I didn't get a picture of Jordan because he was in the car sleeping before the race...but I think Laura has a picture of all of us, so you can try checking her blog.  

5 Things I Love About Races:
1. I feel like a real runner.
2. I feel the running vibe from everyone and just feel giddy about running. 
3. I feel like I'm validating the running I do to stay healthy.  Like, I run and then it leads to being able to finish a race.  I guess it makes me feel like my running has a purpose.  It feels good to accomplish a goal.
4. You get a t-shirt!
5. At the end you get treats!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That was such a blast! We loved spending the day with you guys! You guys rocked the race! Thanks for doing it with us.

We will send pictures ASAP!