Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Uglies


Most Recently Read Book

Uglies

By Scott Westerfield

I had seen this book in bookstores before but I really thought it would not be a book that I would be interested in...then Kayla, the ISU student who was working with me, bought it at a book fair at one of our schools and started reading it.  Once I heard what it was about and actually read the back cover I got interested.  I thought it was going to be a majorly dramatic book, kind of like the Clique books...but it's not.  This book actually reminds me of The Giver, by Lois Lowry.  

In Uglies, the main character, Tally, is an ugly.  She is waiting for her 16th birthday when she'll get the operation that everyone gets when they turn 16: the operation that turns her pretty.  Then she'll be a Pretty.  The book is set in the future where they decided that everyone will undergo a massive surgery at 16 in order to make them all pretty.  Intersting idea, huh?  Except, Tally meets Shay who tries to convince her not to become pretty and runs away to a place call the Smoke where they are against the operation.  Soon Tally is stuck because Special Circumstances won't let Tally become pretty until she helps them find her runaway friend, Tay.  What is the Smoke really like and will Tally want to go back and become pretty after seeing what life could be like without the operation?  You'll have to read for yourself!

It was hard to get used to the entirely strange setting at first, but by the end I was really worried about the characters and hoping it all works out for them.  Now I have to read the next book!  This book is the first of a trilogy...with four books in it, so now I'm anxious to read more. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh it sounds so interesting. I just might have to pick that up and start reading it!

Anonymous said...

I am almost done with Pretty's! It just keeps getting more and more interesting, and now I am getting torn of what I want to happen!It's just become one of those books that once I start reading, I have to finish at least that chapter, or maybe read a few more chapters to find out what happens!! Enjoy!