Saturday, April 12, 2008

What Is This Leisure Time Of Which You Speak?


For the past 5 weeks I have been working with a senior from ISU who is studying to be a teacher for students who are deaf and hard-of-hearing, just like me.  Yesterday was her last day and she gave me this to thank me for working with her.  It made me stop and really realize how much I do go, go, go all week.  I try my best to make the most of every minute at work so I don't really have too much to take home and work on.  Some days I barely even have 15 minute lunch.  Every Friday, Chad and I come home and are exhausted from the week.  Fridays are usually our crabbiest nights because we are so tired from the week...but then we have the weekend to relax and recuperate.  I can't imagine a weekend-less life!

I've always thought it would be great to be able to push a button and freeze time.  It would be nice to be able to spend hours watching Jordan sleep or reading or scrapbooking or to even get chores done and then unfreeze time and still be able to go to bed early and be rested for the next day.  Oh well, I've come to realize, understand, and accept that if something doesn't get done today, it'll get done tomorrow.

Similarly, I've always wanted to be able to teleport to where I need to be.  It would be nice not to have to drive 45 minutes to and from work every day.  It would be awesome not to have to put my coat on and get rained on as I go in and out of schools all day.  It would be heavenly to sunbathe on the beach of a Greek isle for the weekend.  I'm not sure how it would work, but I hope a scientist is out there somewhere working on it.  

In the meantime, I'll just keep listening to my books on CD during my endless commute, zip up my trusty North Face to keep me dry between schools, dream of that gorgeous Greek isle, and thank God for blessing me with time-management skills that help me get done what needs to get done in the 1440 minutes I have in a day.  

No comments: