Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Black Book of Secrets


Most Recently Read Book:

The Black Book of Secrets

By F.E. Higgins

I heard about this book at a workshop and when I picked it up at the library the cover kind of had me spooked...but that was nothing compared to the first chapter!  I have never read such a hair-raising first chapter in a book.  It had me hooked to figure out what the rest of the book would be about.  There were other disturbing parts, but nothing like the first chapter.  The book is about a boy who runs away from him awful parents and ends up being taken in by a secret pawnbroker.  What is a secret pawnbroker?  Well, he's someone who pays you to tell him your secrets...and people have some crazy secrets.  The boy writes down the secrets the pawnbroker collects in the black book of secrets.  I have to say that this book changes perspective a lot, one chapter will be written from the boy's perspective in 1st person, and then the next chapter will be 3rd person so it was a little hard to keep track of what was going on, but it was good read overall.  

No comments: