Sunday, March 22, 2009

Boy Meets Boy


Most Recently Read Book:

Boy Meets Boy

By David Levithan

I really enjoyed this book.  I talked to my students about it and they all seemed kind of uncomfortable about it because the main character is gay.  When I talked about this book I got back lots of giggles.  I think even though gay people have come a long way in terms of social acceptance, there are still so many people who are uncomfortable about gay issues because they may not know any gay people.  For me, this was the first book I had read with a main character who was gay and it struck me that my students probably haven't read about gay characters either.  (I did recently finish a book where the main character's brother is gay, and it focuses on his relationship(s).)  

What struck me as being so great about this book was that once I knew the characters in the book it really read just like a teen issues novel about dating and love and broken hearts.  I think it is important for readers to understand that gay relationships are just like straight relationships.  This book does a great job of not making the story about being gay, but truly about teen relationships.  Bravo!


No comments: