Saturday, March 21, 2009

Mango-Shaped Space

Most Recently Read Book:

Mango-Shaped Space

By Wendy Mass

I love learning from books, but there are times when what I read is so crazy out there it's hard for me to connect with the book.  One book I particularly remember is The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing.  I think they should have a preface that explains that the book is based on historical goings-on.  This book doesn't really need a preface, but it is about a girl who sees words in colors because she has synestesia.  I have never ever heard of this, and it's not too hard to get used to (especially compared to TALoON), but, I nonetheless found myself kind of un-connected with this book.  My brain has this thing with really new stuff when I'm reading a book.  

I did really like some of the writing in this book.  There is one big thing that happens (I can't give it away!) and I like how the writer put the emotions into the story.  I didn't, however, really like the main character too much.  She sneaks off to get acupuncture without telling her parents and that kind of bugged me.  I feel like I'm being a little over-critical of this book...I was just kind of torn between liking it.  It was just okay for me.  

No comments: