Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Chocolate War

Most Recently Read Book:

The Chocolate War

By Robert Cormier

Very interesting book.  I think maybe a male could relate more to this book because it's all about boys in an all-boys Catholic school.  It kind of reminds me of Lord of the Flies and that's all about boys.  They are very similar because they are about human nature.  The Chocolate War is about a freshman boy who is new to school.  He is summoned by the Vigils, a group of boys that cause trouble.  He is assigned to refuse to sell chocolates for the school's chocolate selling fund-raiser.  He carries out his assignment but after 10 days decides he is going to go on refusing to sell the chocolates and from there the Chocolate War ensues.  I honestly thought at one point it was going to end differently, but then it didn't.  I like the ending but at the same time I don't like the ending.  I did listen to this book and I'm wondering if maybe the narrator and his voice is influencing my liking of the book.  I've heard that students really enjoy this book so I'm questioning my wishy-washiness over it, but I do think being a girl somewhat turns me off of the book.  Not sure entirely.  *shrug*

No comments: