Thursday, April 22, 2010

Artemis Fowl

Most Recently Read Book:

Artemis Fowl

By Eoin Colfer

I have seen this series all over the place for the longest time and decided I finally needed to read it myself. I really enjoyed this first book in the series about Artemis Fowl, a 12-year-old genius out to save his mother and find his father. At least, I think that's what it's about...that would be my only trouble with the book. The author does a good job of not explicitly telling you what Artemis Fowl is all about. We know his mom is basically suffering from dementia and his dad has disappeared...and we know he's hatched an intriguing scheme...but the overall point of his scheme isn't really ever disclosed. From what I can tell, this first book is all about getting his mom back and the I've heard the rest of the series focuses more on him finding his dad. I thought it was a cool twist on an adventure/mystery book while bringing in the fantasy realm. I can totally see how middle school boys might love this series.

1 comment:

Emily Jane said...

Would secret middle-school-boys-at-heart love it too? I've seen those books around for a while now and I've always secretly thought I'd enjoy them!