Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Turning-Over-A-New-Leaf Tuesdays (#4)

I'm working through my fourth week of being a vegetarian and I'm loving it! I feel great and have kind of enjoyed the challenge of finding recipes and planning meals to be healthy while also staying meatless. My doctor was intrigued about my decision to just become vegetarian at 27 weeks pregnant but said he has lots of patients who are pregnant and vegetarian.

This week I attempted to turn over a new leaf by cooking dried beans!!! I usually buy canned beans but you can get way more beans for less money if you buy them dried and there's less waste. Did you notice I said "attempted"? I did actually buy and cook the beans...but I opted for the "quick" version and they didn't really cook up just right. They are kind of hard, well, way hard compared to canned beans. I'm not giving up though. I cooked black beans this time but I have another bag of some speckled beans so I'll try those and do the slower version next time! I've always been scared of the dried beans but it doesn't seem that hard...even though I messed them up. I will prevail...at some point!

6 comments:

The Millers said...

You are too crafty and have so much time on your hands! I feel so guilty sitting here reading blogs and facebook in front of the TV. I should be reading and crafting like you! ;) Or on a treadmill!

Emily Jane said...

YAY!! I'm so glad it's going so well for you... and you can take on those beans :)

Kristi said...

Good for you! I could never give up meat! I also have the patiences issue! I would hate to have to wait on the beans to get done! Good for you for taking on the challenge.

Kathy Lou said...

Since last year I have been eating a lot more beans, especially black beans. You can toss them into just about anything. I buy them canned, I have made things with dried beans, but it takes a lot longer. You have to plan for it the day before. If I cook from dry beans I try soaking overnight. I usually get my lentils dry, but my black and white beans are almost always canned.

Mom said...

You definitely have to soak black beans overnight and for better flavor cook them with a whole onion, a whole head of garlic and some salt the next day. I grew up eating black beans every day, they are so good for you. You are doing great.

Julie, Charlie, Carter, Logan & Ava said...

I've tried the dried beans once for a chicken chili and it was a DISASTER. I'm impressed you keep trying!