Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Give a Boy a Gun

Most Recently Read Book:

Give a Boy a Gun

By Todd Strasser

This book is a fictional story told through the perspective of multiple people involved a high school shooting.  We read The Hour I First Believed not too long ago for book club, and that book is partially about the Columbine shooting.  I think Give a Boy a Gun would be good for teen to read in order to think about why school shootings have taken place and to foster discussions about how to prevent them in the future.  I like that there are so many different accounts from so many different people all involved in different ways, but I also feel that because of that it was a little hard to follow.  If there was a narrator then it would be easier for the author to kind of sum up exactly what happened and to come to some conclusions, but instead the reader has to figure it all out.  I, personally, feel that it would be more compelling if it was a true story, but it's not.  Like I said, it's a good starting point for discussions or further study of school shootings.  

No comments: