Tuesday, May 19, 2009

One Thousand White Women

Most Recently Read Book:

One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd

By Jim Fergus

One of my co-workers told me about this book.  Fergus says it is a semi-historical fiction book because lots of his ideas started from pieces of Cheyenne history but the main character and her journals are totally made up.  The journals tell the story of May Dodd, a woman who was put into an insane asylum by her wealthy family when she had two kids out of wedlock and went to live with her lover, whom the parents deemed not suitable for May.  After being in the insane asylum, May learns about a government program.  A group of Cheyenne made an underground deal with the President of the United States to trade 1000 horses for 1000 white women.  The President declines the offer but then secretly accepts the offer with the Cheyenne.  Where does he get the 1000 white women?  He finds women in insane asylums and jails who are willing to go live with the Cheyenne.  Pretty wild, huh?  I really enjoyed this book.  May Dodd and the other characters are great and I loved the exciting events at the end.  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I really really liked this book. It was so interesting and keep me entertained the entire time. The end was so sad though, I could have had a different ending. I'm glad you liked it!

I still don't understand how you have so much time to read. I'm so jealous.