Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I think I can...I think I can...

Thank you King Arthur Flour...I have been dreaming about this fancy cheese bread from the King Arthur Flour website for about a week...maybe.  I have never ever made bread before.  Kathy assured me the worst that could happen would be that it wouldn't taste good...but, oh, did it taste good!  I followed the directions as best as I could, I think I was supposed to spritz with water at the end and I totally forgot...so I think it would look a little different around the outside, but it still tasted phenomenal.  If you look at the pictures of their starter and their dough...my dough was totally way thicker and wasn't at all goopy like theirs...maybe I didn't do the right amount of water?  Oh well, I didn't burn it (woo hoo!).  Chad agreed that it tasted pretty gosh darn good.  I will definitely be making this again.  I have to say, it wasn't all that hard either!  Go me!
Here were my 4 mini-loaves before they went into the oven.
Here's a close-up...isn't she beautiful?
The final product!  You can see it didn't quite turn out like the picture from their website, but I used an Italian blend of cheese, which included parmesan...so I think that's why it didn't burst out all over the place.  Maybe?  I used a garlic and onion oil and it tasted kind of like pizza bread.  I wonder if King Arthur has a recipe for pizza dough?  
This recipe was actually quite perfect considering I just finished reading that weird Meg Cabot book about a kid who is basically King Arthur reincarnate...interesting.  

Moral of the story: Do not be afraid.  If you try it, you will have great bread!

3 comments:

Kathy Lou said...

Wow, the bread looks fantastic! I have my King Arthur catalog right here, I'm going to have to pour over the pages again admiring the flour and bread dough. Yum. Bread and cheese, I think I could possibly live on bread and cheese.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen! It looks really good and I bet it tasted good also. I have to make it someday, I am always afraid of yeast, Jane is an expert I am sure it just takes some practice and you get better at it, maybe we should get together and tray making the hot cross buns for Easter, what to you think? Marhta Stuart has a great recipe, it was her mom's. Good job!

Stephanie H said...

I CANNOT wait to try this! This looks unbelievably yummy!