Sunday, January 4, 2009

Lord of the Flies


Most Recently Read Book

Lord of the Flies

By William Golding

I reread this book before winter break and then never posted my review!  I had never read this book before, somehow I skipped it in high school and I wanted to read it for myself.  I knew it was basically about boys who are in a plane crash and end up on an island and try and survive.  

I have to say the story was kind of boring for me.  I think if I had read this in the context of a class I would have read it more closely and the discussions probably would have made me think more about the book and how it relates to society.  I'd like to think people/kids could be more civilized with each other if rules were all taken away, but then I think of my 7th graders and think of how crazy things would be if they were left alone in a room for an hour let alone days without any supervision...I'm happy I still have a few years to go before I have to deal with Jordan as a teenager!

I was also interested in reading this book because Chad and I have been watching Lost.  I thought it was interesting that I noticed a few similarities between the book and some of the episodes from Lost.  The creators/writers or Lost are brilliant if you ask me.  In the book two groups end up forming and they set up camp in two different places on the island...this happens in Lost, too.  Again, they thought about where would be best to set up camp so they could live "happily" but also so they could be able to signal for help.  I have always liked reading books that are classics just to be able to see these similarities or evolutions (?) as they come up on more popular culture.  I just think that's so darn cool.   

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jen, have you read Hatchet by Gary Paulsen. It's about a boy who survives a plane crash alone and has to survive in the cold Canadian forest alone. It's such a great book. It's young adult fiction, but to me that just makes it more fun to read. There's something about that genre that appeals.

I enjoyed Lord of the Flies. Samneric was my favorite character. I think that's how it was spelled in the book.

Good stuff. Sorry it wasn't your cup o' tea.

You sure do read a lot!

PS: Oh, and by the way, I'm about to type in yet ANOTHER word verification to submit this post. The last one I did for Chuck E. Cheese was "dirtee" and now this one is "feesses". I'm beginning to see a theme. Makes me wonder.