Monday, January 19, 2009

Stencil Profile Project

I have seen this really cool project and I finally got brave enough to try it.  I saw someone blog about making these t-shirts using freezer paper stencils.  I didn't have freezer paper but I had a roll of contact paper so I just tried that.  I love the profile idea!  I made these two t-shirts for Rob's birthday.  Here's what I did!

First, I found a picture of Alex from the side to get his profile.  I printed it out and put it on top of a piece of contact paper.  I used an exacto knife to cut out the profile from the picture through onto the contact paper.

Next, I peeled the contact paper off and stuck it right onto the t-shirt. 

I used black fabric paint and painted in Alex's profile and then lifted the contact paper off the t-shirt and voila!

I thought they turned out pretty cool...Chad even said he wants one with Jordy's profile!  You could really do any shape you want and then also do any color of fabric paint.  I'm excited to do more because it was so easy!

I was surprised at how much it actually really truly does look like Alex!  










1 comment:

Kathy Lou said...

I love this! I just got a new book called Stitched In Time. You would love it. It has projects just like this one. I am wanting to make everything. I have to contain myself or I'll have 10 started projects and no finished projects. One thing at a time, one thing at a time.