Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Teacher's Funeral

Most Recently Read Book:

The Teacher's Funeral

By Richard Peck

Honestly, I grabbed this book because some website had it listed as science fiction...and even though it didn't seem like science fiction, I listened to it anyway. It most definitely is not a science fiction book. It is, however, a nice fiction book about a boy growing up in Indiana at the turn of the century and one year of his life. I liked the characters in the book and I liked reading about what he worried about and what school was like for him back when they had one-room schoolhouses. I think it would be a good book to help kids understand how different life used to be. I have never read a Richard Peck book so this was my first. I liked the writing, it wasn't a life-altering book, but it was a good read. His writing kind of reminds me of Steinbeck...not sure if it's because of the time period he was writing about or just the matter-of-factness of his writing, but I was thinking about Steinbeck. I'd say it was Steinbeck for intermediate/middle schoolers. I'm not a huge fan of Steinbeck but I did enjoy this book.

1 comment:

Laraf123 said...

I recommend Long Way from Chicago and the prequel/sequel (can't remember which it is) by Richard Peck. He also wrote one with similar characters attending the World's Fair in Chicago. Good, fun and fast!