Saturday, November 28, 2009

The Tale of Despereaux Movie

I finished The Tale of Desereaux by Kate DiCamillo this week and last night we watched the movie. I honestly didn't love love love the book so I wasn't sure what to expect from the movie. The movie is really different from the book! I'm really not sure which I like better. There were aspects of each that I liked and didn't like. In the book I liked the Despereaux's mother was a little more dramatic and that his father asked Despereaux to forgive him for turning him in to the Mouse Council. In the movie, I kind of liked how they started with the fancy soup day instead of starting with Despereaux and then having to go back and back and back with every addition of more information. I liked Roscuro a little better in the movie but it was still hard to believe that he could switch from a nice rat to a vengeful rat and then back again so quickly. I didn't like how in the book Botticelli just led Despereaux straight to the princess but in the movie it wasn't all that different. I really should just give up my obsession with this book and the movie...I just can't believe neither of them turned out to be as great as I expected and I wish they were. Oh well.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I read the book a while ago, and I remember thinking it was cute, but nothing too exciting. I haven't gotten around to seeing the movie yet.