Saturday, November 8, 2008

All Children Need a Laptop


"All children need a laptop. Not a computer, but a human laptop. Moms, Dads, Grannies and Grandpas, Aunts, Uncles – someone to hold them, read to them, teach them. Loved ones who will embrace them and pass on the experience, rituals and knowledge of a hundred previous generations. Loved ones who will pass to the next generation their expectations of them, their hopes, and their dreams."

-- General Colin L. Powell
Founder, America’s Promise – the Alliance for Youth.

I'm taking an online technology course that is offered by the school district I work for.  It has been really great to discuss different kinds of technology with my colleagues.  When I first started to read this quote, I immediately was thinking of my technology class.  I thought, "Totally!  Every kid should have a laptop, I want a laptop!"  ...And then I kept reading and realized he wasn't really talking about laptop-laptops.  

Sometimes we get so caught up with the cool new gadget that we have to have or other material things and it's easy to forget that spending time with your child is so important.  I'll never forget seeing two of Chad's students at Chuck E. Cheese one night.  This family had tons of money, the kids were loaded with coins to play the machines, and their pockets were overflowing with tickets they had won.  They were so excited to see Chad and wanted to play games with him.  Do you know where their parent was?  Their dad was sitting at a booth intently working at his laptop while his sweet kids were craving his attention.  It really showed me that it doesn't matter if I have all the money in the world as long as I care about my child and spend time with him.  

Lately I've been reading our friend Kathy's blog and she has been posting all the cool things she is doing with her daughter or for her daughter.  She has been doing lots of hands-on, crafty projects which I'm sure her daughter, Maddy, will remember and cherish for the rest of her life.  I feel blessed to have a friend who is such a good example of a parent and how we should really care for our children.  (I have her blog linked on the left, "Words of Whimsy", if you want to check in out.)

When I read the quote above it made me stop and think about life and remember that our time with Jordan is the best thing we can "spend".  

2 comments:

Kathy Lou said...

Awwww, that was so sweet, and yes, a little maudlin. You are creating a lifetime of memories for Jordan with your amazing scrapbooks. I unpacked a box of scrapbooks my grandmother made for my mom, and one made for my grandmother for her wedding shower! They are amazing keepsakes. I have a project for you, I think you'll like it! http://www.weewonderfuls.com/wee_wonderfuls/store/put-together-2.html
The paper maché bowl is almost done, but Maddy has taken it over to hold her blocks. It might have to stay a block bowl and we can make a new one for grandma. Picture coming soon!

Unknown said...

First of all I totally agree with everything you said. Kids just want attention and love.

Second I love Kathy and I love her blog. She is so clever and so creative. I'm taking notes as I read her and your blog for when I have children some day.

Third I gotta tell you I'm dying to know who you saw at Chuck E Cheese!