Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Melting Crayons

I found a decent-sized bucket of old crayons in my office the other day.  (I inherited an office full of great stuff from one of my co-workers when she retired, thus why I am finding stuff in my office!)  I remembered melting down crayons once and creating a kind of mixed up crayon.  Of course, I found the "recipe" on Matha Stewart.  It was super easy:

1. Search for broken crayons, old crayons, crayons without the paper.
2.  Take the paper off of these old crayons.  Co-ed naked crayons!
3. Break the crayons into small pieces and put them into a muffin tin lined with muffin liners.  I used my mini muffins and I tried to put lots of different colors in each tray.
4. Put them in the oven.  Our oven would only go as low as 200, but Martha said to do 150.  Our oven usually cooks things really quickly so I watched the crayons closely and took them out as soon as they were all melted.  Martha said between 10 and 20 minutes but it didn't take us even 10 minutes. You have to be really careful not to burn the wax and also know that crayon wax can be very flammable.  
5. Take them out and let cool.  I read that you can put them in the freezer for a few minutes.  I did this, but I think by using the paper liners they won't stick so you don't really have to put them in the freezer. 
Voila!  New-old crayons!  Jordan thought they were kind of weird because they are not the right shape, but I had fun coloring and seeing the different colors pop up!

2 comments:

Kathy Lou said...

Very cute! I love the coed naked crayons picture. :-)
I can't wait for tomorrow night! YAY!

Anonymous said...

Hello little Miss Martha? I love her show. This looks like a great project and fun. I am sure you and Jordan had a lot of fun. I can't wait to see him tomorroe.