Sunday, November 16, 2008

Goodbye TRL

Tonight we bid farewell to TRL.  Chad and I are currently watching the TRL Finale.  TRL is a show that has been on MTV for the last 10 years, since 1998.  TRL stands for Total Request Live.  It was always on in the afternoon and basically there was a veejay who hosted the show and they played videos and talked to musicians and about music news.  They taped in a studio overlooking Time Square in New York.  I didn't realize the show started in 1998, I just kind of always remember there being TRL.  The main host was Carson Daly and then there were others along the way.  Here's a picture of Carson Daly:
Chad thinks I am completely insane but when we started watching the finale I became overcome with emotion.  I have cried three times now.  They keep looking back at moments from the past ten years.  I watched them interview Christina Aguilera and play her first video, they interviewed Eminem and played one of his videos.  What really killed me was the Backstreet Boys singing "I Want It That Way".   Here are the Backstreet Boys with one of the other veejays, meaning not Carson, in the middle.  
That killed me because we just saw the Backstreet Boys at Ravinia in August and seeing them on TRL Chad and I were both saying how old they look and how different they look...and then I realized they aren't at the top of their game any more if we just saw them at Ravinia...and it just made me sad.  I fully realized that I am not in high school or even college any more and I'm starting to borderline be old.  I just feel like TRL has been such a part of my life because we watched it all the time in college.  Basically, when we were in the dorms, excuse me, residence halls, we had TRL on.  I can't believe it's over.  As I was sitting in bed crying I realized I had to come and blog this sad event.  It just doesn't seem right that Jordy will grow up in a world without TRL.  Years from now I'll be telling stories like, "When I was your age...there was this show called TRL..."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have to tell you I never loved TRL. But I'm so sad for your loss. So I'm thinking MTV should change its name. Let's be honest, it really doesn't have anything to do with music anymore.

I'm so jealous you are going to a midnight viewing of Twilight. I don't think I'm going to make it to the midnight showing but I will for sure see it sometime.