Monday, October 19, 2009

Crossing the Wire

Most Recently Read Book:

Crossing the Wire

By Will Hobbs

Gosh, I'm so glad this book has been written. This book tells the story of one boy who tries to cross the border from Mexico into the United States in order to be able to work here and send money back to his family in Mexico. His father has died and he feels that his only way to help his family is to cross the border to make money in the U.S. himself. It has always been hard for me to understand why and how people illegally travel to the United States and this book really gave me a picture of why people might try to get to the U.S. and what the trip is like for them. I can't say that I agree with it, but I can definitely have more understanding for what might make them do what they do. I think this is an important story to tell because it really is going on in our world today and there might not be enough awareness or understanding of it. I think people easily judge that it's illegal and therefore wrong to cross the border without thinking about why people would try and cross. I wish I had a solution that would help everyone...but I'm not sure what that is.

1 comment:

Laraf123 said...

A few years ago, our bookclub read Tortilla Curtain. It had a similar theme (but for grown-ups). The story really stayed with me. Also, have you ever seen the movie Babel? Heart-wrenching. The story kept me awake for days and changed the way I look at the world...