Friday, October 16, 2009

Once a Witch

Most Recently Read Book:

Once a Witch

By Carolyn MacCullough

Seriously people, I understand that it makes sense to write a series because you get to write more books and you get paid more but I'm getting frustrated with these books that don't officially end. I really enjoyed this book. It's about a girl who's family are all witches and have Talents that manifest when they are eight except for her family hides her Talent from her and she goes on thinking she's the only one in the family who isn't Talented until one day an evil/dark witch comes along and tricks her into helping him. She gets caught up in trying to help him and realizes she does have a Talent. It's actually a well-woven tale and I was definitely reading to see what would happen next. And there is a romance going on which I really liked. Give me romance, give me an assertive guy, give me something actually happening versus her just wanting something to happen and I'm happy with the romance in a book. Because this book seems like it will become a sequel I think she didn't intentionally put more into the book and instead focuses on what witchly challenges the main character may have to face next. All in all, I did like this book. I actually think it would make a splendid movie! I definitely think high schoolers would like this book, it's probably okay for middle schoolers but there is some drinking and smoking that was a little weird to me so I wouldn't necessarily push it on my middle schoolers.

No comments: