Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Twisted

Most Recently Read Book:

Twisted

By Laurie Halse Anderson

This is the third Laurie Halse Anderson book I have read. I have read Speak and Fever 1793. I think I liked Speak the best, but this book probably takes a close second. Speak is about a girl dealing with having been raped. It was a very hard book because you had to infer so much about what happened to her, I mean hard, I guess, thinking about my students trying to read and understand it. Anyway, this book is about a boy...which I NEVER would have guessed from the cover. Even the summary on the back was very vague and didn't really give to much info about the book. If you want to know, I'll tell you a little more about it!

Twisted is about a boy in high school whose life basically gets all twisted and turned upside down. I have read a few books about boys dealing with girls and school and family...but this one gets pretty intense. At one point he contemplates suicide and it was very real to me. It was extremely well written. I felt like I was in the room with him. I have to say the book started off like a kind of fun book but it got pretty serious, that kind of threw me off because I didn't really have any inkling it would go where it did. I have to say, it did make sense though, I can see how a few choices you make in your life can change everything. I think that's what this book was really about, making choices and dealing with the consequences. I would definitely recommend this to someone at least in high school.

No comments: