Saturday, March 10, 2012

Slice of Life #10 - On Writing



The Slice of Life Challenge is hosted by Two Writing Teachers.

I've been writing my slices the night before they need to post but last night I decided to wait until this morning to write my post. 

The truth is, I'm not sure what I want to write about really. It's funny how different writing is when I do it everyday. Obviously, there are things I can write about, but now it's more of a question of if I want to write about those things. And if I choose to write about something, I want to write something I'm happy with. Writing everyday and writing well and writing for others to see is harder than just writing splotchy ideas in writer's notebook everyday. I have expectations for what I want my writing to be, especially because there are people (even if it's only one person) who are going to read this. 

Without realizing it, I think I've maybe learned what this challenge is all about. It's about writing; forcing myself to do it. There are some days when I am going to love writing and going to love what I produce and be excited to share it with others. And there are going to be days when I write something that's crap and I write it just to write it...but I wrote it. I did it. I understand that there will be ups and downs in writing. That writing isn't sitting down in front of a computer with a beautiful view out the window and birds singing me a lovely tune as words just spark out of me. Writing is work. 

I have realized that even if I write something that's not wonderful one day, I could go back to it and make changes. But I can't revise and edit if I don't write anything in the first place. It's day 10, which means there are a bunch of days to go for me to be struggling with ideas...but that's okay. I'm going to keep going even if what I do write some days is worse than others. I will do it!!!

1 comment:

Kat said...

Keep plugging away! I know the feeling, but am loving this imperative to write every day. Am looking forward to reading back through my posts at the end of the month!