Thursday, March 8, 2012

Slice of Life #8 - Kony 2012



The Slice of Life Challenge is hosted by Two Writing Teachers.

Has everyone seen the Kony 2012 video that's been making it's round through social media about capturing Joseph Kony? If you haven't seen it, I urge you to make time to watch it. You will need to carve out 30 minutes from your day, but I truly believe we owe it to humanity to support this cause.


When I watched the video, I immediately remembered some books I have read that reminds me of what Joseph Kony and the exploitation of people that is occurring all over the world:

Kony 2012

When I see a video about a boy
like Jacob
it makes me realize
how important
being a
mom
is

Sometimes
I go about my day on autopilot
frantically getting kids dressed
dropping the baby off at daycare
being the best teacher I can be
rushing to pick both kids up before five
making a dinner I hope they’ll eat
and
I forget
everything I do
is thinking of them
is taking care of them
is showing them I love them
is for them

When I see a video about a boy
like Jacob
it makes me ache
it makes me sick
it makes me weep
because
I have my sons
I can
frantically get kids dressed
drop the baby off at daycare
be the best teacher I can be
rush to pick both kids up before five
make a dinner I hope they’ll eat
as easy
or as hard
as it is
it is
but for some
it is not

Sometimes
I get yanked out of autopilot
stopping to really relish in the life I have
taking time to look at the billowy clouds
hugging my family longer than usual
really looking them in the eyes
telling them I love them
and
I remember
everything
I do
matters

Maybe
I’m just one mom
I’m just one person
I’m just one small voice

But I am one voice among many

When I watch a video about a boy
like Jacob
I am moved
because
everyone
deserves to
share love
show love
feel love
be loved
and we can help make this happen

HOW TO HELP:


Donate to Invisible Children:
For info on Invisible Children: http://invisiblechildren.com

No comments: