Thursday, March 15, 2012

Slice of Life #15 - My First Disney Memory

The Slice of Life Challenge is hosted by Two Writing Teachers.


Yesterday I declared my undying love for Disney World. I may lose readers or followers because of my continuous Disney love but that’s okay. If I need to write everyday to complete this Slice of Life challenge, I’m going to have to write about what I know and love and if that's not my kids or my family - it's Disney World.

I don’t remember the first time I ever went to Disney World because I was really young. My mom took me and we met up with cousins and relatives in Florida. That’s really all I know.

The second time I went to Disney World, I was in 6th grade in 1991. I was much older but I was still so excited. When I was little I remember getting cable for the first time. It was so much fun to have so many channels but the best was that we subscribed to the Disney channel. Back then, it was a specialty channel like HBO. We watched shows like the Mickey Mouse Club and Kids Incorporated. I was definitely a Disney kid. I had seen so much of Disney World on TV that I was thrilled to be able to go myself.

We had passes to go to all the parks and to hop between parks during the day. At that time, Disney World had Magic Kingdom, Epcot and MGM Studios. My parents bought us autograph books so we asked everyone we met for their autograph. I picked out a Goofy hat that had his long floppy ears hanging down the sides. And my sister had to have the exact same hat. There are so many other memories that are so clear in my mind. It was all just so much fun.

It was fun to ride Space Mountain and Spaceship Earth. We played on the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground and it was huge (now it doesn’t seem so big…). We met the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and watched the Indiana Jones Stunt Show. Going on the Backstage Tour at the then MGM Studios was awesome. There were explosions and water crashing over us and then we got to see old props from our favorite movies and shows. We ate at the 50’s Café and had just dessert.

I love that I was able to experience Disney as a kiddo. Everything seemed big and exciting. It’s still big and exciting now but I look at it with such a different lens as a parent. Have you been to Disney World? Did you go for the first time when you were young or when you were an adult? Did it let you down or was it more than you could have imagined? 

No comments: