Thursday, March 29, 2012

Slice of Life #29 - Two Years Ago...

The Slice of Life Challenge is hosted by Two Writing Teachers.


It's late again and I'm trying to think of something to write. I guess I'm supposed to be able to come up with something worth reading by this time in the challenge. 


Hmmm...I've been thinking a lot lately about where I was two years ago at this time. I've seen lots of people on Twitter talk about sending in their National Board boxes. That was me two years ago. 


It's hard to believe it has already been two years and at the same time that it has only been two years. It seems so distant now and at the same time so vivid. When I think back to that year, I have no idea how I did it. I guess I just took it one step at a time, but it sounds overwhelming to think of it now.


I did my National Board work in early/middle childhood literacy. That year I took a break from hosting practicum students for the first time in 3 years and that was nice in a way to be focused only on myself and my teaching for the year. I had done a lot of reading over the summer and then got right to work when we started school. I was lucky enough to be part of an amazing cohort. The two leaders for my cohort are amazing teachers and, as a bonus, I also had my co-worker going through the experience with me. Chad shook his head at me but supported me at the same time and my parents were always there for me, too. 


Here's the best part - I was also pregnant! This time two years ago I was super pregnant, had sent in my NBPTS box and was getting ready to take my assessment center tests.  


It's crazy how things have changed in two years. My sweet, little, energetic Danny wasn't even here yet! I would sneak out of the house on Saturday mornings super early to go and sit at Starbucks and work, work, work. I hadn't started my teacher book blog yet and I was on Twitter but wasn't as involved as I am now. It's amazing how much things can change in two years. 
Look how big he is! He's almost 21 months old.
Like I said, it feels like a long time ago and at the same time it feels like I blinked and here I am. Where were you two years ago? Have things changed in your life? I hope no matter where you find yourself, that you are happy and looking forward to where the next two years might take you. 

1 comment:

Jennifer K. said...

Great post! I was accepting a job offer that would bring me halfway around the world! I went from teaching in Houston, Texas to Shanghai, China! Funny how your entire life can change in 2 short years!