Sunday, March 18, 2012

Slice of Life # 18 - Carousel of Progress

The Slice of Life Challenge is hosted by Two Writing Teachers.

After going to Disney for the second time (and really the first time that I remember), I went for the third time with two friends from college after our freshman year. Now that I think about it, I have no idea how I even convinced my parents to let me go or how they helped pay for it...but I did. It was actually a good idea to split the hotel room three ways so maybe it was somehow more affordable because of that. 

This was the first trip that I stayed actually on the Disney resort property. We stayed at All-Star Music. I remember loving all of the colors around the hotel. It was an extension of the parks themselves. We got to take the busses to anywhere we wanted to go. Sometimes the bus rides were long but they were relaxing at the same time. 

I just remembered that this was the trip when I first ate a character breakfast! I totally forgot. I honestly don't remember where we went for breakfast but we ate with Alice, the Mad Hatter, and Mary Poppins for sure. After breakfast, we went out into a courtyard and were given little matchbox-size boxes with ladybugs inside. We opened the boxes and ladybugs flew all over. It was very cool. They release the ladybugs to help the plants. It sounds like we ate at 1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian but I really don't remember going to the Grand Floridian for breakfast so it might have been somewhere else.

This was the first time I ever experienced the water parks: Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach. They are awesome. We chilled on the lazy river and the wave pool. I went down Humunga Kowabunga and snorkeled with sharks and fish. Blizzard Beach is fun because it did kind of feel like there was snow all around even though it was hot and I was in a bathing suit. Such a fun idea.

We actually went to Pleasure Island when it was still just a strip of fun night clubs. We checked out the country line-dancing place and then danced forever to music from the 80's. 

By the end of our trip we were so exhausted! It seemed like we had walked everywhere. We loved sitting in the air conditioning of The Carousel of Progress in the Magic Kingdom but then we had the song stuck in our head and kept singing it to annoy each other. You can search for the song if you want to hear it or remind yourself of how catchy it is!

My friend, Tony, kept asking my mom if she could send us some new feet. That's kind of an inevitable when it comes to Disney - you are going to walk and you are going to be tired and you are going to need great shoes. But I think it's totally worth it. 

No comments: